RE: [IPk] reply for Miriam - gluten and BG control

Hi Miriam

When Sasha started hypoing in the middle of meals or immediately afterwards
the clinic had no idea what was going on.  I was on the phone to them every
few days.  No one even gave coeliac a thought and no routine testing was
done although now its recommended.  Many kids are asymptomatic.  That is no
weight loss, no diarrhoea.  The clinic didn't consider coeliac.  I read up
on all the symptoms of delayed digestion etc and discovered the coeliac
connection.  No one else in the family with RA, diabetes or coeliac.  Then
talking to another mum in New Zealand whose son has both conditions I was
pretty certain what it was but didn't want to know.  The more I read the
more depressed I became.  I had to exaggerate Sasha's symptoms to get the
hospital to run blood tests!!  Though we have suffered from about 8 months
of problems including Sasha hypoing at friends houses which has put off any
parents from ever inviting Sasha round for tea or playing after school!!
You are right many of the doctors don't come across coeliac when presenting
with few symptoms and many people go for years and years with poor health
after being misdiagnosed with being neurotic or having a different medical
condition.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the biopsy.

Jackie