[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #957 Re: BG levels

Hi Pat,

 I don't take steroids but sounds like I am suffering with the same cold you
have - must be going around!

 I generally treat everything over 6.5 as a high. That's what I love about the
pump - if I do a fingerprick and my BG is 7.5 or 8, I can bolus between 0.3 and
0.6units of insulin and my BG will drop back to 6. If I was still on multiple
daily injections I would ignore those readings.
 I think it is the ability to regularly bring my BG back into the normal range
that enables me to have an A1C of 5.9% (upper limit of normal in the lab where
my test is done) since going on the pump, while also decreasing the number of
hypos I have compared to my pre-pump days.

 I dont accurately carb count - I prefer to just "eyeball" food and make my best
estimate, then learn from my fingerpricks and correct my BG if it's not on
target.

 Last year I completed the BG awareness training course at www.BGAThome.com.
It's aimed at helping people who have little or no awareness of hypoglycemia.(I
lost the adrenergic/adrenaline-induced symptoms of hypos 4 years ago). I wish I
could have done that course years ago when i was first diagnosed - it would have
saved me learning some of the points covered on the course the hard way! (eg. by
ending up in casualty after going hypo in the middle of the night).

 One of the (useful??) things I discovered, was that whenever my BG is at 8 or
very slightly above I feel nauseous. I used think this was just a coincidence
but it does seem to happen everytime. I can also sometimes feel nauseous if my
BG is below 4 (but then I would usually have a headache as well)so I usually
check my BG before I take a correction bolus.
 But if my BG rises above 8 to 12 or more and then stays there I dont feel
nauseous, just tired.
 If my BG falls below 4 during the night I wont wake up because I dont feel any
symptoms of low BG. But sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night feeling
restless and nauseous and when I check my BG it is nearly always 8 or slightly
above!? I take a correction bolus of 0.3-0.5 units, wonder why on earth a BG of
8mmol would wake me up!!??, and then go back to sleep.

 Does anyone else experience this or know what is it about 8mmol/l that makes me
experience symptoms at that level? Is it to do with becoming adapted to whatever
our average BG is (mine is usually between 7 - 7.8)?

 Does anyone else find that your BG level can affect your ability to
concentrate/ perform at your best during exams or aptitude tests? My BG level
(once its not at an extreme level - under 3.8 or above 15) doesnt seem to affect
me during written exams where I am relying on recalling information from memory.
But I find that to do my best during a (timed/competitive) aptitude test I need
to keep my sugars stable at a level close to normal (5-10).
 Has anyone else experience of this - and how would you cope during a
competitive exam in order to keep your BG on target but not get so stressed
worrying about BG levels that you can't concentrate and your BG starts to rise?

 Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the BGAT training course and
the UK course that was mentioned here a while ago - I cant remember what it's
called (is it "DEWAR" ??)

Thanks,

Aisling
Type 1 12+ years, MM508 1+