From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of Pat Reynolds
Sent: 16 February 2005 16:48
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Pump start date cancelled.

Insulin Pumpers is made possible by the tax deductible contributions.
During the Winter PLEDGE drive, won't you help out and do your part
by making a contribution. Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just
$1 or $2 per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to
serve you and the rest of the diabetes community. Please visit:

I haven't been looking in detail.  I would go for one with a percentage
variation and 2 patterns.  I don't think I need 'insulin on board' -
indeed, positively don't want it, as while it's important, for me, to
know that I bolused 0.6 to treat a high an hour ago, and therefore still
have some insulin 'on board', I flat-line after meals, so if I am
reading high, I _don't_ want the fact that I still have some insulin
from a bolus to be thought to 'cover' it.

I would ask what the service standard of the company is.  I would ask if
they would be prepared to enter a service level agreement with me, as
well as with the purchaser (a legal nicety is involved).  But,
basically, I want a guarantee that if I say my pump's broken, I will
have a new pump in 48 hours if I'm in the UK or Europe/NA, and 72 in the
ROTW.  U[ to 2 hours additionally can be spent trying to fix it
remotely.  A guarantee that all orders for supplies will be filled, at
least in part, within 3 working days (i.e. max wait, from an order sent
in at 17.01 on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend, is until 17.00 on
the following Wednesday.  Even if they have to personally courier /
stick stuff in a taxi to do this, because of an error at their end.

Size doesn't really matter, but clipping does.

I would not want to use a manufacturers sets 'only', in case someone
comes out with a great generic that is cheaper for the NHS, or I prefer
to the sofsets I use now.

I would want to be able to prime, temp basal, and square bolus all at
the  same time.

I would like to be able to programme on my pc as well as on my pump.

I am sure there are features in my 508 that some manufacturers don't
have, and I'll only miss when they are gone!

Hope that helps.

Many of these 'whys' are very personal - many people like the 'insulin
on board' feature, for example.

As always, I want to conclude by stressing, that even if my pump had
_less_ features (e.g. 2 or only 1 basal patterns, no back light, needed
filling/set changing every 12 hours ... then it would STILL be better
than multiple daily injections.

With best wishes,

Pat

In message <email @ redacted>