[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #953

 --- ip-uk-digest <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Insulin Pumpers is made possible by the tax deductible contributions.
> During the Winter PLEDGE drive, won't you help out and do your part
> by making a contribution. Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just
> $1 or $2 per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to
> serve you and the rest of the diabetes community. Please visit:

> ip-uk-digest        Tuesday, February 15 2005        Volume 02 :
> Number 953

> This issue of the digest contains:
> RE: [IPk] hypos
> [IPk] to Nicole - hypos
> [IPk] Re: Hypos
> Re: [IPk] Re: Hypos
> [IPk] Pickup Meeting
> RE: [IPk] to Nicole - hypos
> Re: [IPk] to Nicole - hypos
> [IPk] Cost of paradigm pump...
> Re: [IPk] Pumps & water
> Re: [IPk] sofset, quickset and Lush bars

> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:04:13 -0600
> From: "Melissa P. Ford" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: RE: [IPk] hypos
>
> Hi Nicole,
>
> Sometimes I experience extreme clarity of thought - like solutions to
> issues
> that might be causing anxiety to me or people I know seem to be
> suddenly
> very obvious. But usually once my blood sugar is back up to a
> cognitively
> functional level, I realise that my solutions were not as good as
> they had
> seemed while I was cognitively dysfunctional :[
>
> Oh well, at least I am proud of myself for being very clever for
> about 15
> minutes before I think, 'I must check my blood sugar'....
>
> There is a little literature out there on people getting addicted to
> the
> altered reality that can be experienced during hypoglycemia. Some
> people
> take extra insulin rather than illegal drugs, which I personally
> think must
> be very, very risky: we all know that our insulin sensitivity can go
> up or
> down and if we target 4 mmol/L we might land at 2 anyway, depending
> on
> factors and conditions we can't necessarily detect or predict.
>
> Melissa
> Type 1 11+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 1 year 1
> month
> P.S. I should add that the mind-altering effects of hypos are usually
>
> attractive after at least 5 years of type 1. Before the 5-year mark,
> most
> type 1s still have enough of an adrenaline/epinephrine response to
> hypos
> that the terror symptoms are more powerful than the symptoms of
> cognitive
> dysfunction. That is, it's people who are at risk of hypo
> unawareness, those
> who do not become shaky or sweaty or panicky, who may wind up
> enjoying the
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
Nanette (Chana) Freedman, Ph.D.
Hadassah University Hospital
Department of Medical Biophysics and Nuclear Medicine
Kiryat Hadassah, P.O.B. 12000, 91120 Jerusalem, ISRAEL
Tel:972 2 6776 720, Fax: 972 2 6421 203 - work
Tel:972 2 5636 174, Fax: 972 2 5619 235 - home
Email: email @ redacted, email @ redacted