[IPk] Re: Pumps & water

Hi Aisling,

The Cozmo pump can be worn in water.
To quote from their website:
"Deltec Cozmo. Insulin Pump is Waterproof!
IPX8 - Waterproof to a depth of 8 feet for 30 minutes or 12 feet for 3
minutes"

That being said, a) I'm not sure if it is yet available in the UK,
though someone wrote that it soon will be - it is already available in
many other countries including the US, Australia, and many European
countries, and Israel where I live, and b) since switching to a Cozmo
about 6 weeks ago (after using a Distronic H-tron plus for over 6 years
- I liked that pump, but the Cozmo is a great improvement), I haven't
personally put the waterproof feature to the test, though I have heard
that other people do. I do swim regularly, but swim in the mornings,
while the tail of the breakfast bolus is still active, and find that I
need to disconnect the pump at least 10-15 minutes before swimming to
avoid being hypo after 30-40 minutes vigorous swimming.
I do like the idea of a waterproof pump though - nearly put it to the
test last summer when a hike led us unexpectedly wading across a knee
deep fast flowing stream, and it was only due to a timely outstretched
hand from my daughter that I didn't fall in.
Nanette