[IPk] CGMS and high BG levels

Hi All

Well Sasha managed to sleep ok with the CGMS monitor on.  In fact she was
quite tired and went to sleep a little earlier than normal.  Her blood
sugars were actually quite good yesterday all yesterday afternoon.  6 mmol
at the clinic and later 4.7 then she had a snack whilst we were waiting to
do the calibration before we went home in the car.  Sasha's BG was 8.00 mmol
before the evening meal which was Potato Smiles and a Chicken Burger and a
small tin of baked beans which worked out at  around 65 carbs.  I gave her 4
units which is usually the right amount for that sized meal.  We ate later
than usual at 6,00 pm  instead of 5.00 pm cos we didn't get back from the
hospital until 5.30 pm.  At 7.30 we had to do another calibration test for
the meter and her BG was 16.8 so we gave her 1.5 units to correct this we
don't usually do a blood test after only 1.5 hours after a meal, so we
weren't sure if this might even be a "normal for her spike" or if this was
unusual.  By 11.30 her BG was now 18.mmo and Terry gave her 2.5 units.
later Sasha was 10.5 and had another correct of 1 unit.  Sasha was still
10.5 on waking this morning.  I am not sure what caused these high levels.
I may have miscalculated on the evening meal, but not enough to cause an 18
mmol and then with her levels not coming down a lot despite 3 correction
doses.  I wondered if it was due to the stress or excitement but then you
would think that the stress hormones would have kicked in during the
afternoon between 3.00 and 6.00 when her BG levels were good.  As it was the
levels didn't go high until after 7.00pm.  I mean, the idea of fight and
flight response hormones  is that the kick start the body immediately and
not hours later!! or they wouldn't work!!  The only other think I can think
of is that the site is causing body to react!!!!  I hope its not an
infection or another cold hatching.

She went off to school on the high side today.  Keeping her off would defeat
the object of seeing what happens to her levels on normal days.

Anyone else's or their child had spikes like this when they started on the
CGMS??

Jackie
Mum of Sasha aged 10 dx 1999, twin sister Rebecca, both coeliac 2001
Mum also to Danni and Nicola, wife to Terry