RE: Therasense Navigator WAS RE: [IPk] Diabetes patch

Hi Melissa

Just a few (controversial?) points. Medtronic are in discussions with NICE
over funding of the sensors for the Guardian RT - I would be surprised if
they bothered if there was no hope of getting them funded.

The Guardian RT does have European Regulatory Approval - I would be very
surprised if this had occurred if there wasn't consistent correlation
between actual BG values and the results reported by the Guardian RT keeping
in mind the following point. I didn't think Abott have submitted an
application in Europe yet?

Both the Navigator and the Guardian RT measure interstitial glucose levels.
These are different to finger stick BG levels with two notable differences -
up coming lows are detected faster by measuring interstitial glucose - highs
are detected later. So if you BG values are normally in range or lower then
both products should suit you better than finger stick measurement alone.

And to support my comments I have included a statement from Ed Fiorentino,
president of Abbott Diabetes Care, "Continuous monitoring requires a
paradigm shift in how patients and healthcare professionals think about and
assess test results,"

Adrian

>It's too soon to tell exactly on what grounds the Navigator might be paid
>for/not paid for by the NHS. I have been very impressed with the data I've
>seen about its clinical utility and accuracy, esp. compared to the
Medtronic