Therasense Navigator WAS RE: [IPk] Diabetes patch

Hi June,

I know a fair bit about the Navigator, having seen it at conferences several
times in the past couple of years. Therasense, the company that makes the
Freestyle and Freestyle Mini (aka Freestyle Flash) meters, is behind the
Navigator. Inasmuch as an Ultra meter is in fact a Johnson & Johnson
Lifescan One Touch Ultra meter, the Navigator would be Abbott Diabetes Care
Therasense Freestyle Navigator (when Abbott, which was behind the Medisense
brand, bought Therasense last year, they created the name Abbott Diabetes
Care as an umbrella for both brands). Abbott Diabetes Care is the parent
company, Therasense is the division, Freestyle is the brand, and Navigator
is the product name.

It's too soon to tell exactly on what grounds the Navigator might be paid
for/not paid for by the NHS. I have been very impressed with the data I've
seen about its clinical utility and accuracy, esp. compared to the Medtronic
Guardian [note: not the Guardian RT, the Guardian I] system's clinical
utility and accuracy. If I had the choice of paying for a Guardian (not v.
likely to be paid for by the NHS) OR paying for a Navigator, I'd take the
Navigator.

The Navigator may have higher running costs than fingerstick testing if one
considers 4 fingerstick tests per day as "average" - unfortunately the
majority of type 1s test fewer than 4 times per day. If everyone actually
tested 4-6x per day or more, the NHS might spend a lot more money on
fingerstick testing than it already does. But I'm not a statistician and I
don't know how the Therasense people arrived at their conclusion that the
running costs will be comparable, I am just speculating.

Melissa
Type 1 11+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 1 year 1 month; v.
happy with the Freestyle Mini meter