Re: [IPk] Pump Therapy and a Psychologist

Hi Jackie
It's great that Sasha has no real hangups about diabetes and wanting to hide
it etc. I suffered from that problem as a teenager and it got me into a LOT of
trouble (because I'd rather ignore my diabetes than let people know I had it,
which led to a lot of bad control).

I should think they'd be looking to see if you're motivated (eg that you'd be
happy to do more than 1 or 2 BG tests a day, that you'd do things like change
the site regularly, check for air bubbles etc). There are a lot of people who
aren't prepared to do things like adjust their insulin without their
consultant's permission, or change habits of a lifetime, etc etc, let alone do
things like regular BG testing. So if you were one of those people, you
wouldn't be very suitable for a pump.
I know you know all this anyway, but maybe take a look at the pros and cons of
pumping page http://www.insulin-pumpers.org.uk/prosandcons/ - if you look at
the cons you'll get some idea of the sort of person who wouldn't be suitable
for a pump, if you see what I mean. For example, the sort of person who
wouldn't notice they were going into DKA, or who saw the pump just as an
excuse for unhealthy eating....

They'll probably want to satisfy themselves you're also not a raging loony or
have an alcohol/drug problem :-)

Di