RE: [IPk] What is MODY?

Hi John

Here is a better explanation about MODY

Maturity-Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY)

A form of diabetes characterised by early age of onset (usually less than 25
years of age), autosomal dominant inheritance (that is, it is inherited by
50% of a parent's children) with diabetes in at least 2 generations of the
patient's family. MODY diabetes that can often be controlled with meal
planning or diabetes pills, at least in the early stages of diabetes. It
differs from type 2 diabetes in that patients have a defect in insulin
secretion or glucose metabolism, and are not resistant to insulin. MODY
accounts for about 2% of diabetes worldwide and 6 genes have so far been
found that cause MODY, although not all MODY patients have one of these
genes. Because MODY runs in families, it is useful for studying diabetes
genes and has given researchers useful information about how insulin is
produced and regulated by the pancreas.

One of the main differences seems to be that there isn't a problem with
resistance to insulin and the genetic link is very strong.  Whereas it is
believed that if you have a family history of type 2, keeping the weight off
may prevent the diabetes from developing.

Don't forget to mention LADA as this type of diabetes is often found in
usually slim, young  to middle aged adults and is frequently misdiagnosed as
type 2.  This type of diabetes usually needs to be treated with insulin and
not type 2 meds.  There is usually no insulin resistance and often only a
small amount of insulin is needed for many years

More about MODY

http://www.diabetesuffolk.com/Understanding%20Diabetes/MODY.asp

More about LADA
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_types/diabetes_type_15.php