RE: [IPk] Brittle Diabetes - Vent

Hi Adrian
I went in hospital last week for an ankle arthroscopy. I had to go into
hospital on Sunday 30 Jan but had to 'phone first to make sure the bed was
still available. I 'phoned and was told to come in between 4 and 6 pm. I
went in at 5.45 pm. I was put on the sliding scale insulin infusion at
2.30am when I disconnected my own pump. My BGs were taken every hour and my
operation was scheduled for 8.30 am the following morning. I was told I had
to have "breakfast" at about 2 am!
This arrived at 1.30am but I knew a bolus from my pump would not have been
completely infused before I disconnected. Sure enough my BGs went up at my
first few tests but was 4.6 before the op.
I went back to ward at 10 am. My consultant said I could go home later that
day as long as my BGs were stable and I was up and about. I was told that
the sliding scale infusion should remain connected until after I'd had some
lunch. When I pointed out that the sliding scale was a basal infusion and
questioned how I would bolus to cover my meal, it was agreed that the
sliding scale could be disconnected and I should reconnect mine. After the
op my BGs went up to 14.5. I had 2 nurses watching as I reconnected my pump
because they'd not seen one before. I was asked so many times "are these a
new idea?" My response "only in Reading, not in the rest of the
country/world!
I went home after lunch. One week on, I've had the dressing changed at my
surgery this morning, and the stitches will be removed next week when I see
the consultant.
I send you my best wishes.
Jane Halls
Type 1 22 years, pumping 6 months.