Re: [IPk] Clothing

In message <email @ redacted>
, Marion Malik <email @ redacted> writes
> I also
>told her that you lot love your pumps and are very happy to show them
>off.
Perhaps it's worth thinking about something which Yasmin brought up when
we met: wearing a pump is a visible sign of our disability.  It is thus
a positive thing: it emphasises that we have a serious condition, that
needs serious treatment.

On the negative side, of course, it contravenes the third of the 'five
rules for living':
a) don't be different
b) if you are different, get it fixed
c) if it can't be fixed, cover it up
d) if you can't cover it up, stay home
e) if you can't stay home, have the decency to look ashamed when you go
out.

Of course, as well-balanced, rounded adults, we never feel ashamed of
our differences, do we????? (heavy irony there!)

And for young people, difference is felt more acutely.  So things which
boost self-confidence, and teach positive attitudes to difference are
needed.  Of course, all people need to be self-confident and have a
positive attitude to difference (our own and others).

Cheers,

Pat
dm 30+, 508 3+, striving for a world where no one needs to feel they
should act ashamed
--
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted