Re: [IPk] Pump start date cancelled.

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>> Others have questioned that point, but I support it.  While in the first
>> week or two of pumping one is (often) advised not to go hypo, it happens
>> (I went hypo the first time I walked a mile ...).
>
 >Err, why? I mean, it's obviously always better not to go hypo, but I don't see
>why it should apply any more to the first week of pumping...

Because in the first few weeks of pumping, you are trying to set your
basals and work out bolus ratios.  For 24 hours after a hypo, you cannot
use any data you produce.  So it puts you back a day.  If you go hypo
every day, you can never set your basals, etc.

>The close monitoring
>> (bg measurements every 30 mins) needed to tune basals, etc., may be
>> possible if one has some kinds of jobs, but anything where one has to
>> answer the telephone, or speak to colleagues or the public for more than
>> a minute or so at a time is probably too difficult to do at the same
>> time, unless one has a will of iron.
>
>I suppose it depends how desperately you want to get everything set up
>perfectly. I think it takes a few days to settle into the pump anyway, before
>you start messing around with basals etc too much. I certainly didn't measure
 >my BG every 30 minutes when I first started on the pump - in fact I've *never*
>found a need to check my BG every 30 minutes (I mean, continuously for a day
>or more). I checked my BGs every few hours - that was quite sufficient.
 >Obviously everyone's different. If you get hypo unawareness then you'd want to
>check more often.

Also with volatile bgs like mine - eight reading a day of 5 - 13 - 5 - 6
- 13 -6 - 12 - 15 gives you no clue at all as to what is going on. Only
when you get a variation like 5 - 6 - 8 - 7 - 13 - 5 - 6 does two-hourly
work.

>> Talking of frequent measurement of blood glucose in busy situations: ace
>> tip from Melissa: don't forget that mobile phones have alarm clocks in
>> them. I've been setting mine for 2 hours at each measurement, and this
>> way getting the noise I need to remind me that time's up.  I'm amazed
>> how quickly it goes from 6pm to 8pm!
>
>WHy are you religiously checking your BG every 2 hours? Are you testing basal
>rates? Or trying to crack down tightly on control?

Trying to tighten control.

It would be easier with a continuous monitor, and a pump where I could
alter the basal rates by percentages - I think I've got the basal rate
about sorted now ... but don't have time to continually re-programme the
two other rates in parallel, so am resisting using them (I am on many
different levels per day, so it takes around 10 minutes to reprogram.
Ten minutes I don't have to waste should I work out the following day
that I actually need to move a time or amount.  Grrr.

This is the anti-Concorde effect: Concorde effect is continuing to pour
resources in because otherwise the resources already used will be
'wasted'.  What I have is refusal to put in resources because those
already used _have_ been 'wasted'.

What I need is a new, non-human brain, that can do risk analysis and
other logical thinking!

Best wishes,

Pat

--