Re: [IPk] Pump vs MDI: long term

In message <email @ redacted>, Melissa Ford
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi folks,
>The thing that keeps me from being a proponent of MDI on a long-term basis
>is the tissue damage issue.

That's a good point!  There should be a revision to the NICE definition
to include 'significant tissue damage' so that people can swap to pumps
if switching to using their last couple of insertion sites (calves and
upper arms, for most people, I guess) would 'use up' their available
sites, within their predicted lifetimes.

Or maybe, people should be discouraged from injecting into the upper (or
lower) stomach, so that that area was 'reserved for the pump'.  I did
that without planning!

In the real world, rather than the fantasy of what we'd like, where the
NHS has enough money, we are not talking about telling diabetics to
'wait and reserve their upper stomachs for the pump' of course.  We are
telling diabetics that it is their fault that they don't have perfect
bgs on mixtard twice daily, we are failing tell diabetics that if they
'eat healthily', that's all they have to do, concerning their diet.

Let's not campaign for 'pumps for all', even if we believe that's a good
thing. Let's campaign for 'diabetes management training for all'. That,
unlike pumps, is achievable.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)
Pat Reynolds