Re: [IPk] stress anyone?

In message <000501c2ddd7$962046c0$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>> 43 ...
>Isn't that about 2.5 mmol?
2.25 (whole blood)
>surprising she would be out of it   with this... I suppose it depends on a
>number of things though like speed BG drops and individual " threshold"

I guess.  At that level, I'm still very much conscious, and able to

>> As the visitor came back to us, the crew were insistent that she needed
>> complex carbohydrates - is that right? I would have thought that
>> dextrose was better?
>I suppose that in the case of a long acting insulin complex carb is
>recommended after the initial crises is over to prevent the same event from
>occuring over th e next few hours
That's what I said - that it was her Monotard - but they said, no, it's
after Glugagon.  I've never had glucagon .... it's probably written on
the box, isn't it!

>> Rather upsetting to hear an obviously intelligent woman explaining her
>> insulin regime to the paramedics - I have no idea how the health care
>> professionals among us manage to bite our tongues and not call their
>> diabetes team and heap abuse!
>Are you implying that she  lacked basic knowledge re her own physiology, or
>that she was on a totally innapropriate regime or that the ambulance
>personnel lacked basic knowledge?
Inappropriate regime.  I.e. she believed that only the doctor has the
power/knowledge to decide how much insulin she should inject, and that
despite 'being unwell' 'since he changed the dose last year', she did
not feel the right to change dosage back (or ask to see the doctor
again, and get him to give his Holy Sanction to do so).

Let alone my care for another human being, that's my tax money that's
being wasted by treating this woman's hypos (proper training, and the
money could be spent on the archives she was visiting!)

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, tax payer (hmm, when did I first have a bank account)

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)