Re: [IPk] stress anyone?

Hi Abigail,

Yes, chaos is normal!

Remember that bg results are screwed up for 24 hrs after a hypo, so it's
impossible to set new basals while having hypos.  I've learned to simply
then bring down again to the low targets (4-7.5)

As to whether it's moving or something else: at least you get a chance
to do an experiment!

While I'm writing (putting off the return to the statistics text which
is lowering at me).... a member of the public went hypo at work today.
The front of house staff called (in this order, very sensibly, a first
aider, an ambulance, and me).

By the time I got downstairs, the lady was too far out of it to agree to
take dextrose tablets.  Lucky I was there, only because the ambulance
crew had problems with its bg meter (although there was some fun, as I
had to explain that they were going to see a Big Big number, and they
were not to panic - that I'd convert it to something they understood.
43 ...

As the visitor came back to us, the crew were insistent that she needed
complex carbohydrates - is that right? I would have thought that
dextrose was better?

Anyway, someone asked here a while back about what a hypo looks like
'from the outside'.  Very much like it feels from the inside!

Rather upsetting to hear an obviously intelligent woman explaining her
insulin regime to the paramedics - I have no idea how the health care
professionals among us manage to bite our tongues and not call their
diabetes team and heap abuse!

Best wishes to all,

Pat
(dm 30+, 508 1+, chaotic almost 40+)