RE: [IPk] stress anyone?

Hi Abigail

I often go through periods like this and for me it often
precedes a basal change (usually required 3-5 times year and
can mean an overall reduction or increase of 20 - 30%).  The
other possibility is the running.  I have often written on
this site how I need more insulin when I run (yes I do mean
more) and less insulin for housework, gardening and swimming.
I believe this is a response to adrenalin and certainly the
less fit I am or the tougher (faster) the run, the more
insulin I require.  At the moment I am running 6 or 7 miles 3
times a week and am fairly fit.  I have stopped taking
additional insulin now but keep the basal rate unchanged.  I
keep blood sugars stable throughout the run but I know that
they will drop 2 or 3 hours later and that I will require
less insulin than normal when I eat tonight.  Exercise is
always difficult but keep with it and you will come to
recognise a pattern.

Beverley Smith
Consultant Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader