Re: [IPk] Swimming advice

Hi Karen
I used to swim a lot and found that I needed to completely switch off the
pump about 45 minutes before I started swimming (otherwise there would be too
much insulin floating around in my body while I was swimming, given that
Humalog peaks at about 1-2 hours). Disconnect before I got in the pool
(obviously). I'd swim for about half an hour. When I got out I'd check my BG
and unless it was low, I'd bolus about half a unit (because of the time delay
thing again). I usually just leave my glucose tabs in the locker, and if I
felt low I'd go back to the locker and get them, but generally you can leave
them by the side of the pool (or a drink in a sports bottle). Note that
you're usually not allowed to take glass bottles into the pool area, but
plastic ones should be fine.

The only way is to experiment and see what works for you. Personally I find
swimming drops my BGs quite a lot (I'd guess at least by 10 mmol/l in half an

If for some reason I forgot to disconnect or switch off well in advance of
swimming, I'd take around 20-30g fast acting carb first.