Re: [IPk] Re: development of retinopathy

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana
Maynard <email @ redacted> writes
>Hi Pat
>The anaesthesia you're talking about IS the "stick a big needle in your
>eyeball and freeze everything so you can't feel most of your face", right?
>It depends on how much anaesthetic they put in as to how much it hurts. If
>they only need to do a little (which I suspect was your case) then it doesn't
>hurt too much.

They first injected in near my tear ducts, and then into my eyeball.  I
was told it was 'a painkiller and something to paralize my muscles'.

The tear duct injections hurt a little (about the same level as drawing
blood), the ones in the eyes didn't hurt at all.

Maybe the first ones were to kill the pain of the main ones?
>I wasn't offered painkiller in addition to or instead of the local
>anaesthetic. They should definitely give you the choice of local anaesthetic
>or not. Most people are reluctant to give it to you if they can avoid it,
>because it takes longer to do and there's more risk afterwards.
>Note that the anaesthetic DROPS they put in your eye are totally different -
>they always give you those (in case anyone's confused!).

They are anaesthetics?  I always thought they were dilators!  Always
hurt like fury!

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, last lazar treatment over four years ago ... so maybe
things have moved on too)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)