Re: [IPk] Re: development of retinopathy

Hi Di,

I am not convinced that we are making the same distinction (i.e. I agree
that there is a distinction between zapping the vessels and zapping the
retina), but I think there is also a distinction between where they push
the eyeball and where you direct it (or is the retina always pushed, and
the vessels always self-directed?)

Best wishes,

(only once with pushed eyeballs)

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana
Maynard <email @ redacted> writes
>Hi Pat, Lesley etc.
>> Laser treatment isn't all that painful!  It is like having a flash gun
>> go off in front of your face - and again - and again - and again.  A wee
>> bit uncomfortable, sometimes, while it actually flashes - but wearying
>> and headache-making.  Certainly, compared to earache (which I have
>> _again_, it's nothing!)
>> The painkiller and paralizer injections are used for an advanced kind of
>> laser work, where, rather than sitting up and being told to 'look to
>> your left', etc., you are lying down, and the surgeon is working with a
>> headset, pushing your eyeball with his fingers until it's exactly where
>> he wants it.
>This isn't quite accurate - they *sometimes* do the advanced laser treatment
>lying down with a headset, but they don't have to. I've had it done once that
>way and about 30 times the normal way - all with the anaesthetic injections.
>It depends on their personal preference.
>The first kind of laser treatment mostly doesn't hurt, though it *can* do
>when you've had a lot of it done (over a number of occasions) and if they hit
>a sensitive bit. But generally you don't need any anaesthetic for it.
>The second kind - which is where instead of zapping the leaky blood vessels,
>they actually zap bits of the retina to increase the percentage of oxygen
>getting to the eye and therefore try to prevent new blood vessels forming in
>the wrong place (which is bad because they're fragile and break and cause
>bleeding) - is again not usually painful to start with but when you've had a
>lot (of either type of laser) it can start to get painful - from the mildly
>sensitive to the "can't possibly have it without anaesthetic". Some
>consultants prefer to do this with a headset while you're lying down, some do
>it in the normal way.
>Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)