Re: [IPk] Development of Retinopathy

Hi Lesley
I'm a world expert on the subject of pain relief and laser treatment, having
had a hideous amount of laser over the last few years.
The injection itself HURTS. A LOT. it's not the pain of the needle going in -
you hardly feel that - it's the pressure of the anaesthetic going in which
feels like your head is being filled with lead. think of the injection at the
dentist and then multiply the pain by about 5.
But......you then feel nothing, or almost nothing when they actually do the
laser. So it's a few seconds of intense pain vs several minutes of the laser
pain. It takes a few hours for the anaesthetic to wear off, during which time
you need to wear a patch over your eye because since you can't feel anything
it's easy to scratch it. Having it done basically renders me useless for the
rest of the day. And it can hurt when the anaesthetic wears off.
It's swings and roundabouts really - I was at the point for a while where I
couldn't decide which of the two options was better. Now I absolutely have to
have anaesthetic.

My advice is that if you can stand it without anaesthetic, grit your teeth
and carry on. If it's really completely unbearable, then have the anaesthetic.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but hope that helps.