Re: [IPk] Development of Retinopathy

Have you just gone on the pump?  Ironically, tightening control often
leads to bleeding. Most of the studies have been done on type 2s,
brought into control, I think.  But it's a known side-effect of pumping,
and pumpers are supposed to have their eyes examined within a short
while of starting, just to check.

If you have a switched-on diabetologist, speak to her or him, not just
'the clinic', and ask him or her to get you moved up the priority list
at the eye clinic.  If he or she isn't supportive, then go directly to
the ophthalmologist, and explain about the pump.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, retinopathy brought on when I tightened control ....
but not triggered by further tightening on the pump.

In message <email @ redacted>, Susan Morrow
<email @ redacted> writes
>Does anyone have any idea how quickly it can take for diabetic eye
>complications to develop?
>The reason I ask is that for a few years I have had background retinopathy.
>It has never been  a problem and I have been told by my clinic that it9s
>quite normal in someone who has had diabetes as long as I have (17 years).
>However, I had the back of my eye examined by the optician at the beginning
>of January and he saw some bleeding near my visual field so referred me to
>an opthamologist. It took a month to get an appointment and I9m a bit
>disappointed that the appointment isn9t until May. I9ve just phoned the
>diabetic clinic for advice and was told that they can9t help and that I need
>to phone the opthamology department.
>Before I start worrying myself even more I thought I9d find out what other
>peoples9 experiences are. If I make a fuss to get seen sooner will it
>actually effect my outcome or will waiting a few more months not really make
>a huge difference? Does anyone have any ideas?

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)