[IPk] Development of Retinopathy

Does anyone have any idea how quickly it can take for diabetic eye
complications to develop?
The reason I ask is that for a few years I have had background retinopathy.
It has never been  a problem and I have been told by my clinic that it9s
quite normal in someone who has had diabetes as long as I have (17 years).
However, I had the back of my eye examined by the optician at the beginning
of January and he saw some bleeding near my visual field so referred me to
an opthamologist. It took a month to get an appointment and I9m a bit
disappointed that the appointment isn9t until May. I9ve just phoned the
diabetic clinic for advice and was told that they can9t help and that I need
to phone the opthamology department.
Before I start worrying myself even more I thought I9d find out what other
peoples9 experiences are. If I make a fuss to get seen sooner will it
actually effect my outcome or will waiting a few more months not really make
a huge difference? Does anyone have any ideas?