[IPk] Subcutaneous Insulin Resistance

Hi Abigail,

We've certainly considered the possibility of infection, but there certainly
aren't any signs of anything. As for a correlation with my menstrual cycle -
that would be difficult as I don't really have one! (I very rarely have
periods) I suppose there is a possibility that this in itself is related?? I
do think there must be an underlying cause and we just haven't jit on what
it is yet.

As for subcutaneous insulin resistance, it is indeed given as an indication
for peritoneal infusion. However, there appears to be a lot of controversy
over whether the condition actually exists at all or if it is simply an
invented explanation for poor/difficult control that cannot be explained by
other causes. A number of published articles don't seem to have found any
biochemical evidence for subcutaneous insulin resitance, (e.g.
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/315/3/147)  yet the internet is
littered with references to it in the context of poor control and
indications for advanced diabetes therapy (e.g peritoneal infusion, islet
cell transplantation)