Re: [IPk] High BS / Prescriptions

In message <001901c2cb0f$a480af00$email @ redacted>, henn.house
<email @ redacted> writes
>Don't know what happened to me last night.  I'm still doing 2hr BS so checked
>at midnight - 5.9 and had 20g CHO but didn't bolus.  At 3am I was 13.2 so
>reset alarm for 6am and couldn't believe when I tested then, I'd gone up to

To add to what Melissa suggested: was the 20g CHO a 'hypo' treatment?
When I started, I was given upper and lower limits far above 'normal',
as all hypos were to be avoided (they make it impossible to set basals).

20g CHO for a hypo may be too much for you.  I found that 10g is enough
for me.  Also, did you take it as glucose, or as something much slower
acting, such as chocolate?

I find that my response to insulin is very much affected by my bg level:
1 unit will drop my bgs by 3, if I'm in the 'normal' range, but it may
take 5, or more, if my bgs are very high.  So if I under-inject/over-
consume by 20g CHO, it has much more than double the effect of under-
injecting/over-consuming 10g.

On the not altering basals point: the old saw 'once is happenstance,
twice is coincidence, third time is proof' is a good one.  Don't worry,
you're getting there!  Do everything to avoid hypos, though!  They are a
bad thing at this point - you can't trust anything you see for the
following 24 hours, and when you need three to make a change, loosing
one day can seem awfully draggy.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, just finished yet another re-write of chapter one....)

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)