Re: [IPk] High BS

Hi Karen,

About the big jump in bg: once on a pump with Humalog one doesn't have
long-acting insulin that'll eventually peak and take care of any carbs one
has eaten, so _any_ carbs that you don't want to raise your bg must be
catered for. You may be more sensitive to carbs now that you can vary your
basal rates and the Humalog works more predictably than the longer-acting

You may want to do a little self-test sometime, testing once, eating 15g
carbs, not bolusing, and then testing again 30 mins. later, and then
bolusing 1 u. to see how far that goes in bringing you back to your starting
bg. I usually bolus something for even 5g carbs these days.

About the specific situation you had the other night, was there any fat or
protein involved in the 20g carbs? If so, it would have taken longer for
your bg to come down. You might want to factor in a few tenths of a unit for
fat and/or protein when you have noticed some foods that tend to set you up
with a high bg that doesn't want to come down.

Also, and I may be unique here, I find that the higher my bg is, the more
time it takes for Humalog to start bringing it down. If I get up to 16, it
might be three hours before I'm close to 9; if I'm 9, I could be 4 in less
than an hour. I don't know exactly why that is, but I have avoided some
severe hypos by reminding myself that (if my set is fine and I'm not ill) 5
u. of Humalog _will_ do something after a while. If I bolused extra after
not seeing a bg shift within 40 minutes, I might wind up in bad, bad shape.

If it's of any consolation, I remember going on the pump and thinking to
myself a few times in the first couple of months, 'Hey, wait! I know how to
manage my diabetes...what the heck is my body doing now?!'

Good luck,

IDDM 9+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years