[IPk] to Jackie

I was apprehensive about Steven going on a pump - I questioned my
motives for doing it lots of times - am I doing this for Steven?  Am I
doing this for the rest of the family?  Is it really better for him?
Will he cope at School?

I moved away from the local hospital and the consultant there wrote a
really nasty letter about me and Steven, showing his total horror that
Steven was going to trial a pump.  At this point I questioned my motives
again - was this consultant right?

Steven is not the easiest of children - (I think you've probably read
emails from me where I've described him as the Tasmanian Devil!) and
there have been times early on when he removed his pump and refused to
put it back on.

Four months down the line, I have to say that I am confident I made the
right decision to give Steven the chance of a pump. We travel 50 miles
for our hospital appointments but it is worth it.  After lots of
battling, anguish and sleepless nights the funding for the purchase of
the pump and also the consumables has been granted by the local NHS (at
one point I had two offers of money for the pump! - one from a
children's charity).

I am a single parent with two other children and the money for the pump
would not have been easy to find - but I would have done.  It has made
such a difference to all our lives and like someone once wrote in their
email on this site - on a pump you control the diabetes rather than it
controlling you.

It's not for me to tell you to try the pump - I just wanted to tell you
my experiences, if it helps.

And as for Steven - someone would have to take the pump off him kicking
and screaming now if they wanted it back!

Alison Orchard