Re: [IPk] Glucowatch

Hi John

You can now purchase it for children over 7 but you are advised to discuss
it with you D team.  I have had a mail from Patti Mack in the US who
purchased one through a contact in Scotland and is very unhappy with it.
Her mail is quite detailed about the problems and has made think again.  The
only way I would probably get one now is if they were to offer the months
trial with money back if you don't get on with it. They don't seem to be
offering that now.  They do say you can return it for a refund within 8
business days if you dont get on with it but you will still have paid
postage and the #50 for the sensors which I imagine are not returnable and I
am not sure is the time will be too short for a proper test.

 It has just been the last few days really, that we have had unexpected lows
early in the night.  We seemed to have gone through a few weeks where she
needed more insulin than usual, then this week we have needed to drop the
dose  quite a lot, although her food and activity has not changed
significantly.  The hypos that we used to have a year or so ago were due to
too much NPH insulin and always happen at about 5 am.  This was when we were
using the dreaded mixtard 30.  Sasha has no dawn rise so we now give the NPH
at 7.30pm and this lasts thought the night with usually no big rises or
drops  We checked at 11.00 to 11.30 ish and by then the NPH has peaked and
usually there is not much of a drop, only a couple of units.  We check again
at 2.30 and this has usually caught any lows or highs before.  I wondered if
she had a growing spurt a few weeks ago and needed more insulin and now this
has stopped again.  She was 2.7 again last night at 11.15 and I had to give
nearly a whole juice box to make sure she wasn't going any lower.  At 2.30
it was 7.6 my hubby checked, at 4 it was 6.6 and in the morning it was 4.9.
For the last few months it has hardly taken any carbs to bring her BG up to
a normal range to sleep safely though the night so I am not sure what has

I suppose it is just one of those things with children nothing stays the
same for more than a couple of weeks.

Fortunately Sasha seems to be fine in the mornings, I don't know if this is
to do with the fact that children seem to be able to put up with
uncomfortable things like staying wet swimming costumes for hours, going
into freezing water and being totally unaware of things grown ups would find
intolerable.  Perhaps she feels off colour but doesn't notice.  Also
children do tend to  seize more easily than adults, hence some children
having fits due to a raised temperature.  So perhaps she doesn't go as low
as an adult would to start seizing.   I imagine the lower you go the worse
you feel when you come to.  Glad to hear that a pump has solved this problem
for you.