Re: [IPk] Chinese Take Away

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>For future reference, can anyone tell me how many carbs there are in a King
>Prawn Chow Mein?  Lovely Stuff :) :) :)

Unfortunately, noodle dishes (and all dishes where the carbohydrate is
served mixed in with the meat, veggies and sauce) are a lot harder to
estimate than separate dishes and rice (or other dishes served

So you just have to experiment - that doesn't mean you have to wear a
white coat or weight the Chow Mein!  It just means you have to think
about it: think what your guess is (using something from the supermarket
as a base is probably as good as it gets - but your local restaurant
will be significantly different), remember (or write down) what you
guess, and what, as a result, you bolus.  Then measure, and think about
the results.  Repeat a time or two if you get very variable responses,
and then try again with what you think might work.

If you are nervous about such a guess, go to the restaurant with
friends, and order some non-noodle dishes, so that 75% or so of your CHO
is coming from rice. From experimentation (i.e. eating rice at home!)
you should know how much CHO there is in a spoon of rice.  If the sauces
don't mislead you, then any variation from what you expect is probably
the Chow Mein, but even if you seriously under or over estimate, it's
not going to do much harm to your blood glucose level.

Soooo.... the good news is, you are going to have to eat a lot of Prawn
Chow Mein if you are going to be able to predict it as well as you can
predict the Chow Mein from your supermarket.

I must say that the pump is wonderful at 'snacking' meals such as
Chinese food, because I can take a series of little bowlfuls, and eat
until I've had enough ... injecting 'as I go' for each bowlful - and if
I want to eat just the Peking duck and spring onions, well, there I go -
just a square bolus then...

With best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 9 months +, wishing that the pump would do 'multiple square
boluses' so I could put one in for each high fat snack!
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)