Re: [IPk] Pump trial starting Monday

Hi Louis,

>1) What is a good tape to use for the Tender set??  I find the Rapid set
>very uncomfortable, although it does offer a double-tape down in case the
>pump is yanked.

You can use tape-down methods with either kind of set, so long as they
are 'quick release': you put the tape on between the release bobble and
the pump, then if the pump falls on the floor, is tugged by a six year
old, is caught on a door handle, or lain on by a partner (all happened
to me withing a couple of days! - I'm a klutz), the tubing pulls the
bobble against the tape, and the site itself goes blithely on, unaware
of the domestic crisis.

You can use any tape which you like.  I have been using micropore,
because I'm not allergic to it.
>2) Is it likely that I will be able to set the basal rates to cover my
>requirements??  given that I exercise a lot (gym, swim, squash - I took it
>off for squash and swimming on saline), and that it is hard to work out when
>the dawn phenomenon is actually doing its damage.

Quick question: have you ever been made homeless because you were unable
to keep up with mortgage repayments or rent arrears?  If so, then you
might need the support of someone because you may have a learning
difficulty which will make the numbers side of pumping difficult for
you.  Otherwise, no problem!

First, the dawn phenomenon problem.  To sort this, you just have to
measure through the night a few times, spot when it rises, how much it
rises ... and remember that humalog doesn't act immediately - in most
people, it peaks about two hours after injecting.  Remember that highs
can be the result of lows, rather than of insufficient insulin - always
try cutting before increasing on the night, because of the danger of
undetected hypos.

The sport, if it's the same amount every day at the same time stops
being a variable.  Because humalog has quite a flat profile (really, it
does) disconnecting for an hour or so isn't a problem for most people.
If it is for you, injecting, or reconnecting for 15 seconds or so every
half-hour might work.
>3) Is it really possible to exercise - run, squash, tennis, ski with the
>pump, or do some of you take it off and adjust bolus/basal rates??

I'm afraid my sport is limited to pilates. (Limited by sloth, not a
pump). I have a friend who keeps on at me to go skiing with him, so I
should listen to the answers to this one!  Also, the pilates is meaning
that for the first time in my life, I might not be so unbalanced as to
be a danger to myself on the slopes!

Best wishes to all,

dm 30+, 508 9 months+, pilates four months, I think?
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)