Re: [IPk] Highs etc

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>The problem seems to arise when I eat food.  I bolus 1 unit of Humalog per 10g
>but my blood sugar goes up to between 16 & 18. and it doesn't come down for at
>least four or five hours.  This is mainly between lunch time and around 9pm.
>This has been common for the past six days.

Don't worry, it's early days yet.  You will soon be looking at the odd
14 and thinking 'how on earth did that happen???'!

You've already established that your basal isn't quite right (because
you get a rise between breakfast and late afternoon), and that you need
to change the ratio you use at lunch time (but possibly not the ratio
you need first thing in the morning - working out what to change, and by
how much is not that difficult.  The books say 'work out your basal,
then work out your bolus', but the bolus is so plainly very wrong, you
might want to tackle that first.

I envy you your nice mornings!  It took me six months to work out that I
need to work out how much carbohydrate _and_ how many calories there are
in my evening meal!

Do not expect your insulin-to-CHO ratio to be constant during the day:
if you seem to need more at lunch-time than for exactly the same food at
breakfast, then you need more insulin.  Or maybe you will find that you
are eating significantly different kinds of foods at these times, and
you therefore need to use one ratio with meals of 'breakfast' type, and
another with meals of 'lunch' type, whenever you eat them.

If all that seems incredibly fiddly and daunting, it's not: it's not
something you _have_ to do with a pump, it's something you _can_ do with
a pump.  Over a few months, you will find out where, for you, the
balance of time spent trying to improve control lies.

With best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 9months+

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)