Re: [IPk] Highs etc

> I've been on a Disetronic pump for a week now.  Although my blood
> has never gone past 20ml this week (it used to swing between 2-30) I
> think I have become a little more aware of my diabetes now.  I seem
> to have good sugars overnight and wake up with a blood of 7-10.
> However, in the afternoon my sugars rise to between 13-18 and it is
> worrying me.  i have done some fasting at this time and my blood was
> a little over, but not too bad 10-12.
>
> The problem seems to arise when I eat food.  I bolus 1 unit of
> Humalog per 10g but my blood sugar goes up to between 16 & 18. and
> it doesn't come down for at least four or five hours.  This is
> mainly between lunch time and around 9pm.  This has been common for
> the past six days.
>
> I'm getting to the stage where I am frightened to eat anything with
> carbs in.  I feel so alone about this.  maybe I expected too much
> from the pump.

My guess is that your ratios are not properly established. Please
see the HOWTO page of the web site for guidance on establishing
ratios.

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto.shtml

Also, talk to your diabetes educator and re-read the relevant
sections in Pumping Insulin.

The task may seem a bit daunting to a new pumper, but trust me :-) ,
it does get easier and will seem like second nature in a few months.

Michael