Re: [IPk] Bad night hypo

Hi Di

The short answer is, I don't know, neither, I expect does anyone else.
Carbohydrates are absorbed at so many different rates according to their GI
that I, for one have no idea what's left!

That's why I use the simple maths method and as I only ever make corrections
after at least 3 hours after the original bolus, it does not seem to matter.

However, YMMV.

With a correct meal bolus using Humalog. 2 hours after the meal your BG
should be 1.7 to 2.2 mmol/l above the starting value. (providing the BG
before the meal is within your target).

4 hours after the meal it should have returned to the initial level.

Correction guidelines:
Before a meal.
BG level    Extra Insulin
2.0-3.5        -1
3.5-7.5        None
7.5-10.0      +1
10.0-12.5    +2
12.5-15.0    +3
and so on

Before bed.
BG level
2.0-3.5        30 CHO
3.5-7.5        15 CHO
7.5-10.0       None
10.0-12.5    +1
12.5-15.0    +2
and so on

These were the guidelines given to me by Dr R Hoogma, who trained me in pump
therapy. He has over 300 pump patients in his clinic in the Netherlands.

These are only guidelines, your own experience will teach you your figures.
But this is a good starting point.

John Davis.