Re: [IPk] unused insulin

>Safety.
>
>Would you rather have a hypo in the night, or having a slightly raised bg?
>
>You cannot quantify the amount of undigested food in your gut. It's too
>erratic. But you can make a guess at the amount of unabsorbed insulin.
>Better to err on the side of caution surely.
>
>John

Hmm, I don't find tat a satisfactory explanation.  The unused insulin rule
actually assumes that carb absorption is finished. Now unless you're eating
very fast carbs, most people are still going to have carbs being absorbed at
that time.  If you have reasonable post-prandial BGs most of the time, you
can assume that your carb absorption and insulin absorption are pretty much
synchronous. So, if I am high 2 hours pp, I assume that there are still
carbs waiting to be absorbed as well as the insulin.
 Of course, if I've just eaten an unusually fast acting load of carbs, I
might then assume that the carbs have acted faster than the insulin, and
therefore i would apply the unused insulin rule. If i've eaten a high fat
meal, I *know* there are still carbs waiting to be absbed, and i definitely
wouldn't apply the unused insulin rule.
Di