Re: [IPk] Bad night hypo

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, you wrote:
>When correcting for high BG readings don't forget to take into account the
>amount of unused insulin still in your body.
>Humalog disperses at about 25% per hour and has totally gone after about 4
>hours. Therefore, if you are correcting 3 hours after your meal bolus, you
>still have 25% of the original bolus still to disperse. Take this into
>account when correcting!

Hi John
I've never understod this unused insulin rule. 3 hours after my bolus,
there may still be insulin unused, but there will also be carbs still being
absorbed (since normally, the carb absorption curve should match the
insulin activity). So, the two should cancel each other out and you
shouldn't need to consider the unused insulin, unless the two activity
curves are mismatched. Please explain why you should consider the unused
insulin but not the unused carbs!
I never consider the unused insulin, which works for me, but of course
others may be different.