Re: [IPk] hypos and pasta

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>>I was hoping that someone might give me some advice? I am waiting to go on
>pump therapy in March but i am having problems now.
>Yesterday i had a lovely tea with pasta, bread and fruit. One and a half
>hours later i went very quickly into hypo of 1.9. Felt terrible but my blood
>had been 12 before tea and i had taken my usual insulin. I still don't
>understand the hypo but i went to bed and my blood was 9.6 took my usual
>insulin and when i awoke in the morning my blood was at 21.1

Hi Yvonne
I have a similar reaction with pasta. For some reason it raises my Bg very
slowly, so I will be hypo a couple of hours after eating  it, and then go
high during the night. I get round this by taking half my usual insulin as
a bolus and the other half as an increased basal rate for the next 3
hours. Some people find pasta raises their BG very fast on the other hand.

Obviously you can't do this since you're not on a pump, but you could
consider splitting your insulin dose and taking half when you eat the
pasta, and half several hours later.

Alternatively, only eat a small amount of pasta :-)