Re: [IPk] Bad night hypo

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Neale" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 3:45 PM
Subject: [IPk] Bad night hypo

Hi John,

     I read with great interest your values on reducing your sugar levels
and taking CHO.
     When Disetronic gave me my training they stated that 1 Unit delivered
through the pump would basically clear 10 grams of CHO just eaten, and 1
Unit delivered when bg is 10 & greater would clear 2.5 grams of CHO.
     Great I thought now I can eat everything in sight (only joking) it does
work on these stats as long as you know what CHO is in the food, great if
its on the wrapper or in a book but it obviously goe's out the window if
your guess work is wrong, I've always stuck to these guides since '75 and
using syringes and the old insulins, it was what I was taught.
     On my last visit to my consultant he dissmissed all this as a load of
******* and then went on to tell me this is all wrong and he dosn't know why
I was told this, then I was asked what bolus I would have for a slice of
bread and I said 2 Units as there is 20grams of CHO in a slice of bread (but
it can vary from 12-15 grams on cheaper loaves and the highest I found is
35grams per slice) he said I should have between 4-5 units (ha ha ha).
     Well I put his theory into pratice and????? large hypo, I spoke to
Disetronic and they still back me on my calculations and this seems to be
the general rule, so I was very glad to see your stats as it confirms mine.
     Does any one else work along this theory if not how do you calculate?

Regards Dave.