[IPk] Hypo

Generally we (at BDEC - diabetes centre) would suggest you treat any BGL
below 4.0mmol/L as a hypo - regardless of symptoms or not. Hopefully
this will help your awareness of hypos so you don't drop to 2.2 before
you feel it. There is some medical evidence out there that suggests that
your cognitive function (awareness, ability to contemplate it and
provide action) decreases on it when you are going hypo (even around say
Many people feel hypo much higher than this, particularly when they have
had BGL at a much higher level. Additionally some people feel hypo when
their BGL drop very quickly - even when they are not "medically" hypo.
Hope it helps!
Julette kentish
Diabetes Research Dietitian