Re: [IPk] Medics' reaction to the pump

It's kind of like the term 'UFO' - UFO doesn't mean space-ship, 'space-
ship' means space-ship. 'UFO' means 'unidentified flying object'.
Anything can be a UFO - Concorde, a space-ship, a Frisbee, the planet
venus - they are all UFOs until they are identified.

St. Thomas's are saying that your diabetes is not in control, and they
have not been able to identify why (unexplained diabetic
occurrences???).  Guys are saying that sticking a 'UFO' or 'UDO' label
on you doesn't help at all, so they're not going to do it, they're going
to keep at it until they find out _why_ you are not stable, and then
stick a label on that.  The cause could be anything from you having
extreme sensitivity to the glycaemic index (i.e. a meal with 40g CHO all
from wheat is going to do seriously different things to the same meal,
with the wheat removed and replaced with rice), undetected night-time
lows every night, or very poor and erratic absorption of medium and
long-acting insulins.  There are dozens of the <expletives>.

Personal, I prefer Guy's approach - if you've got brittle diabetes,
you're stuck with it.  But if you are trying to find out why you do the
things which in most diabetics would get you great bgs, and you don't,
then you've a chance.  The A&E consultant doesn't have to find an
answer, just a label.  And 'this patient has diabetes which is not under
control, but I don't have the foggiest idea why' doesn't sound good.
But it's the truth.  Just like 'there's something up there in the sky,
and I don't have the foggiest idea what it is' is the truth behind UFOs

Best wishes,

Pat

In message <000001c0975d$2d3b7d40$email @ redacted>, Hilly Beattie
<email @ redacted> writes