[IPk] (Fwd) [IP] Just need to vent

This is of general interest. It is really too much to bear.
From:          email @ redacted
Date:          Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:14:09 -0500
Subject:       [IP] Just need to vent

Hi all
I had the worse day at work. My bs of couse went soar as the day
wore on. I work with kids that are in trouble with the courts and
some of them are in Drug treatment residentials. I have a hard time
dealing with these places because they often insist that the child
be taken of all meds. I found out today that this includes anti-
diabetic meds.

I have a kid that is a Type 1 and was court ordered into one of
these drug treatment facilities. Before going in he was in our
secured facility and receiving Advanian and insulin. At the point he
was moved into the drug treatment he was removed from all meds
and placed on a restricted diet by the "medical staff." He
complained everyday that he felt awful and the only time his
bloodwork or bs were checked was on admission 23 days ago.
They were at an "acceptable level" upon admission.

I saw him today and the boy was very sick. He was clearly in DKA.
I'm his case manager for education and when he saw my pump he
asked me if I had a meter with me. I have a Precision Xtra that also
does ketones. Well we ran both tests and they both came back
high. SO more than 550 bg and off the scale ketones. I
immediately informed the nurse who first had a fit that I let him test
his blood and than told me that this was a type II diabetic
according to their files and he would not get any meds.

I spent the rest of the day climbing all kinds of leadership ladders
to get this kid removed out of the facility and into a hospital. I can't
believe the ignorance of this nurse and so called doctor at this
facility. They also went up the leadership ladder complaining that I
let the kid test his blood and that he could have faked the whole
thing to get out of drug treatment.

I get to spend the whole day tomorrow with internal affairs
explaining my actions. But the kid was admitted to the local
hospital and his bg came back at 1345!!! I know of no type II
diabetic that can get their bg that high and he's been diabetic since
he was 5. I found out that his medical file did say type I but
because he was taking the oral with insulin they assumed it was
type II. They could have killed this kid and I'm the one explaining
my actions...nothing like working for government!!

Sorry just had to vent to people that understand
Gail J Donohue