[IPk] Fw: 'Diabetic' Consultant!!!!

----- Original Message -----
From: david fordham
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 10:05 PM
Subject: Fw: 'Diabetic' Consultant!!!!

----- Original Message -----
From: David Fordham
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 4:55 PM
Subject: 'Diabetic' Consultant!!!!

Thought I would let you all know about my experience on Friday, last week.
Having seen my Consultant, armed with a detailed blood-glucose diary (with not
a spot of smeared blood in sight!), attempts to clear my mind of any thoughts
regarding an insulin pump were made, I was sent to have my HbA1c checked and
asked to bring a blood-glucose diary on my next visit in March!!  Insulin
remained the same, despite my cries for help that it is not controlling my
blood sugars....so I decided, whilst I am waiting, to see a diabetes
Consultant at the hospital where I work, who also happens to have insulin
dependent diabetes, in an attempt to 'test the water' on his attitude towards
insulin pumps.  If his response was positive, I was going to ask to be
transferred.  However, the discussion went downhill from the beginning really.
This began with him asking me if I exercised?  (I am not overweight, by the
way).  Exercise works for him, apparently!  He then exclaimed that personally
he would not like to have a device attached to him continuously getting in the
way of his clothes, etc.  He went on to say that trials need to be done to see
how efficient the insulin pump really is, but then began spouting all he knew
about the DCCT trial, and how it did infact show the value of pumps in
maintaining good control!  I informed him about this website and the positive
that's what they would say, isn't it?  It is the same about somebody who
drives a Skoda.  To them they will be the best car, far outweighing any
others".  I then added the analogy of " I used to live in a two bedroom house,
which I loved.  I now live in a four bedroom house which is beautiful, but my
plan for the future is to purchase a five bedroom house with a bigger garden.
Therefore, a strive for improvement."  He then asked me, in as much of a
patronising voice as he could manage, if I was fed up.  Then, 'are you
tearful'!!!  Needless to say, I left the room as fast as I could, having been
made to feel like a neurotic female, who was also a poorly educated, badly
controlled diabetic (of my own doing, through lack of exercise and sloppy
diet).  Initially, I experienced a little self-doubt, wondering that maybe I
have become too focused on a pump and maybe with the right insulin will be OK.
Then I remembered the 17 years of diagnosis, all of the insulins I've tried,
all of the people statements about the worth of pumps and the fact that,
despite in the UK all of the authorities stating that they want more trials,
pumps are still used without question on pregnant women with diabetes who are
having difficulty controlling their blood sugars.  They are used because they
work!   from Helen.