Re: [IPk] I'm so low I could cry

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling  so low today. I don't have one of the
"never fail remedies" that you are looking for, however, I would like to
share the following with you.

I don't think that you need to worry about losing a few brain cells at a BG
reading of 3 mmol. Since the introduction of Human insulin in the mid
1980's, I estimate that I
have been completely out for the count at least 100 times, my very dear wife
takes great care of me and usually manages to get me around with the help of
a Glucagon injection, sometimes 2. A few times she has failed and I have
been taken into the emergency unit of the local hospital. On two occasions
it took them between 4 and 5 hours to bring me around. I used to worry about
losing brain cells myself and although I must have certainly lost some, I am
by no means senile yet. My memory is nowhere near as good as it used to be
but then I am getting older and I notice that non diabetic friends seem to
have the same problem.

I believe that we have millions of spare or unused cells, so I think you can
afford to loose a few without worrying too much. Having said that, hopefully
none of us will have too many lows on pump therapy anyway. By the time
that you read this, I trust that you will be feeling somewhat better, but I
know from experience how awful you can feel for several hours afterwards.
Hope that you are okay next time around.