Re: [IPk] dr scarpello

In message <email @ redacted>, Ingrid Morrow
<email @ redacted> writes
>I don't see the point of testing ketones either.
>Recently I had a severe bout of food poisoning (ie not keeping anything in
>either end, including water) and I was obviously majorly concerned about
>ketones building up (I had never had food poisoning in ten years of dm!).
>So I just tested my bg more frequently, and if I was high I just took some
>more insulin...no need for the fiddly ketones stix!

It is my understanding that you _could_ have been developing ketones
(but not diabetic ketoacidosis) - this happens whenever someone doesn't
eat enough: your body digests itself to make up its energy needs, and
ketones are the bi-product of this process.  This is what happens when
someone (diabetic or not) 'goes on a diet' in the common meaning of
those words.

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)