Re: [IPk] dr scarpello

> Hello All,
> The advice given by our Diabetes team is that if you test above 15
> you should check ketones - particularly if there is no apparent
> reason for the high blood sugar.

That is not bad advise, the question you must ask is:

What would you do differently if you did or did not detect keytones.
It seems to me that if you test high there are always specific thing
that should be done. 1) calculate an appropriate bolus to bring bg's
down, 2) drink plenty of fluids, 3) try to figure out why bg's are
high and take corrective action to prevent a recurrence.

I like John, fail to see what good the information about keytones is
in real time except perhaps to diagnose a rebound from a hidden low
while sleeping. Even that is a little iffy since one would not
necessarily have keytones due to such an episode. It occurs to me
that this procedure is more appropriate for those who do not
routinely test their blood sugar and want information about how far
out of whack they are. Sort of "back to the urine test" scenario.
With the modern bg testing meters of the last few years, it seems to
me the testing for ketones is superfluous. Bear in mind that this is
just my opinion, not medical advise. For that, ask you doctor, but
you might also ask what the purpose is for keytone testing and what
actions should be taken differently than for high bg results.