[IPk] Ketone Testing

Dear All

I test for ketones when I have a high BM (over 15) for
no obvious reason (i.e. eating 3 cakes with no bolus
which of course I would never do!!).
My understading is that ketones mean a lack of insulin
in the body or an illness. Therefore it may be that
the pump has run into problems or you have an
infection going on somewhere. The fact that there are
ketones would alert you to this.
Whether you have ketones or not may dictate how you
will treat the high BM. If I find ketones with a high
BM I take some humalog using a novopen in case there
is a problem with my pump or site. If there are no
ketones I just take an extra bolus using the pump.
Does this make any sense? I hope so!

Do You Yahoo!?