RE: [IPk] Medics' reaction to the pump

		Dear Abigail, fantastic that you got an interested
response, at least now you can open their minds to what a pump is,
perhaps they mind consider it when next treating patients. Refer them to
the newly established PUMPS Pump management for Professionals group we
have recently set up. It is designed to help medics and other health
professionals understand about the benefits of pump therapy.
		Julette :-)
		Dietitian
		started new job today in obstetrics and gynaecology-
after 6 months in
		general practice. I was wearing my pump in a prominent
place. One registrar
		in general medicine asked me if it was a pager. Whem I
explained about a
		pump he asked me about the dosage(how much does it give-
one unit per
		our?)  - yeah like I'd be constantly pigging out on mars
bars. He then said
		he thought it would only be useful for "brittle
diabetics" and when I said
		that it put the patient firmly in control of their
condition and explained
		about the necessity of monitoring bg at least 4x/ day he
reacted as if this
		was a really weird, unusual thing to do.
		An anaesthetist asked if I was wearing a 24 hour ECG
machine and when I
		explained " no, 24 hour insulin" he expressed his
apologies and asked if I'd
		become really  unstable. I was able to answer, not since
having the pump.