Re: [IPk] Medics' reaction to the pump

In message <000501c09165$07b68360$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>started new job today in obstetrics and gynaecology- after 6 months in
>general practice. I was wearing my pump in a prominent place. One registrar
>in general medicine asked me if it was a pager. Whem I explained about a
>pump he asked me about the dosage(how much does it give- one unit per
>our?)  - yeah like I'd be constantly pigging out on mars bars.
Well, 50 units p/d isn't that unusual for diabetics.
>He then said
>he thought it would only be useful for "brittle diabetics"
I feel that most 'brittle diabetics' are more likely to have complex
sensitivities than unpredictable responses to the sensitivity factors -
but wouldn't it be great to put 'brittle diabetes' and chaos theorists
in the same room?  I am beginning to think that diabetes is the truly
post-modern condition: with it's attention to the body and consumption.
>and when I said
>that it put the patient firmly in control of their condition and explained
>about the necessity of monitoring bg at least 4x/ day he reacted as if this
>was a really weird, unusual thing to do.
Yes, it is: most of their patients are in denial - but of course,
doctors deny that their patients are in denial (quite comic, really, if
it wasn't so tragic (and expensive).

Best wishes,

(number 5 on the list to get a pump)
Pat Reynolds