Re: [IPk] Pump article in Balance

I wonder if the drug companies have something to do with this. after all
they make money out of the drugs they research and produce for type 2
diabetics. The islet transplants are said to be for type 1s so if we're
all going to be cured soon why bother taking an interest in us?!?
Altrnatively I wonder if it is a government conspiracy not to promote too
much interest in pump therapy in case too many people express a desire
for a pump and they have to pay for it!!! Yes I have noticed the distinct
lack of published information or diabetes willingness to discuss or
promote CSII Pumps are widely used everywhere in Europe apart from the UK
and Spain so it is not an American fad-my rant Carmel

>From: jenny davey <email @ redacted> >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted >Subject: Re:
[IPk] Pump article in Balance >Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:11:57 +0000 (GMT)
> >I am not surprised to hear about the reply you got >from Diabetes UK.
They seem to have recently decided >to focus much more on type 2 diabetes
(being cynical I >think they may receive more money from type 2s). > >As
for the children's holidays, they have cut down >considerably on these
this year, as a result of taking >funds from type 1 to type 2. I
personally think this >is outrageous, as newly diagnosed children must
need a >great deal of support. > >I joined Diabetes UK when I was
diagnosed 5 years ago, >but I am losing interest in them with their
sudden >shift in attitude. > >That is my rant! If anyone wishes to argue
please feel >free!! > >Jenny > >--- "Audrey Sheal, SE Grampian"
><email @ redacted> wrote: > Dear All > > > > You might
remember that I mailed the list a week or > > so ago saying that I had >
> written to the Editor of Balance with a proposal for > > a "pumper's
diary". > > > > I got a response from him yesterday, and I have to > >
say that it was somewhat > > patronising. He said that (sic) 'pumps were
> > interesting, however they had > > featured pumps in a recent issue
(July/August 99) > > but they would keep my > > letter on file'. I am not
saying that they should > > have said "yes" but the > > tone of the
letter was ever so condescending. I had > > highlighted the recent > >
increase in UK pump usage in my letter - but get the > > feeling from his
> > response that it is not of interest.............. > > Probably I am
just a bit > > offended and being palmed off like I am stupid! > > > >
Interestingly, I also got a letter from the Family > > and Young People >
> Volunteers team at Diabetes UK. I had volunteered > > to work on one of
their > > children's holidays. This letter was equally > > dismissive and
said, (sic > > again!) 'we get a lot of non medical volunteers, > > can't
accommodate you all, > > if you do not hear from us in the next 9 weeks,
we > > don't need you'. I know > > charity's have to cut costs, but there
are ways and > > means of being efficient > > - whilst not cheesing off
the enthusiast. > > > > Diabetes UK needs to become a bit more positive.
years+, Pumper 4 months > > > >
> > Scottish Enterprise Network > > http://www.scottish-enterprise.com >
> > > This message is sent in confidence for the addressee > > only. > >
It may contain legally privileged information. The > > contents are not
to > > be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. > > Unauthorised
recipients > > are requested to preserve this confidentiality and > > to
advise the sender > > immediately of any error in transmission. > >