Re: [IPk] New pumper

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 11:28:00 -0000, you wrote:

>Hi everybody, I've been on a pump for 4 days so I'm very new to this concept.
>I have four basal rates at the moment but am having trouble controlling my dawn phenomenon.
>I'd like to hear if anybody had a problem like this when they started the therapy.
>I have been diabetic for 49 years and I am insulin resistant - is there any hope
>that I can be stabilised by this method of treatment?? from Iris Flight.

The dawn effect can be a real test of your patience when setting your
basal profile to match it.  It took me the best part of a week to get
my basal rate right when I first went on the pump and initially my BGs
went haywire and I was despairing.  You'll need to persevere Iris and
get help in setting the basal rate from your care provider.  In my
case I went from a "steady" basal rate of 1.4 during the day to 3.0u
from 7-10am, but everyone is different so ymmv.  Was hard going for me
but we got there in the end.

Best wishes.
Mike (Dunedin, New Zealand).