[IPk] Pasta and Pizza

Hi there,

I've jsut recently (three weeks ago) started on a Minimed insulin pump
trial. Still working out the finer details, but things are looking good so
far. Only three of us in N. Ireland are on it (including the Dr!) so feeling
quite priveleged really. Feeling a lot better and getting better results.

One thing ... when I have a meal mainly of pasta I seem to go low shortly
after the meal, take some extra carbs and then go too high. Is this because
the pasta is slow to be broken down in the body? If so, is it best to take a
square wave bolus? Or maybe bolus half way through / after the meal?

I've also heard that the dual bolus is also called the "pizza bolus" - the
first intake of insulin for the carbs and then a square wave to sort out the
fat. Has anyone tried this successfully? Should a dual be used for pasta
meals as well? When else would a dual or square wave be used?

Also I'd be interested to know peoples comments about the silhoette set
compared to the sof set. I'm trying the sil. after some skin irration under
the wings of the sof. I find it more comfortable so far and like the smaller

Paul Kennedy